Friday, February 4, 2011

in the kitchen

{via}

Some people choose to go to the gym.  Or drink a glass bottle of wine.  Or hang out with friends.  Or read a book.  But when I'm having a bad day, all I want to do is go home and cook.  I know, it sounds so weird.  Work all day and then go home and work even more all night.  Sounds exhausting, right? 

I've been cooking since I was a little girl.  Both of my parents were ah.may.zing. cooks so they taught me and my brothers well.  After my father passed away, my mother went back to school to pursue a Master's degree while working full-time.  Clearly, this didn't leave much time for her to cook dinner for the family, so I stepped up to the plate.  Every night for three years, I cooked dinner.  While for some children it may seem like a chore, for me it wasn't.  In fact, it was something I looked forward to every night.  Creating recipes, playing with fire spices, and experimenting with bold flavors. 

My passion for life is in my food.  

I realized this tonight, after making three trips to three different grocery stores in the city looking for ricotta cheese.  Seriously, Trader Joe's doesn't carry ricotta cheese?!  

Tonight, I tested out a my own concoction for stuffed strawberries - ricotta cheese, cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla.  I'm sure there's a recipe out there somewhere, or someone's already thought of this, so I can't really take credit for it.  I never thought to pair ricotta cheese with fruit, but it's amazing how delicious it turned out.  This was actually a dry run for my big Super Bowl Sunday Brunch that I'm making for some friends.  I made two dozen stuffed strawberries and I ate all of them in ten minutes four hours.   

Don't judge me.

Earlier this week I also made Thai Basil Chicken with rice from scratch, and for the rest of the weekend I'm getting my hands dirty with a rosemary chicken & spinach salad, turkey meatballs (and maybe an attempt at homemade spaghetti sauce), and ricotta-blueberry pancakes. 

I don't use recipes because I hate them (I also hate measurements), but I decided to start writing things down so I can take credit for it in the future.  And for when I open up my own restaurant/bed & breakfast.

I dream big, what can I say.

Got any good recipes for me?  I promise I won't steal them.  Or at least give you credit for them.

Maybe.

PS:  Did you read my intro post on Stratejoy yet?  I'll be blogging there every Friday for the next six months.   Lots of delicious and honest writing.  Check me out, yo. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...