Sunday, July 25, 2010

how do you make those life-changing decisions?

(via)

"The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live."
- Flora Whittemore -

When faced with a big, life-changing decision, what do you do?

Do you make the more sensible decision or do you take the risk, not knowing what the outcome is?  How do you evaluate it?  How many people do you talk to about it?  Which people do you talk to about it?

I've never been good at making those tough choices.  Especially ones that could change your life.  But lately I've been re-evaluating where I am in my life.

I'm almost 27, with a job that's starting to make me miserable, in a city that is slowly becoming unsatisfying.  The only thing keeping me here, really, are my friends.

My decision?   

Quit my job at the end of August (when my lease expires) and buy a plane ticket to my home land and spend a few weeks traveling abroad.  Risk the unknown - both in a new country, and when I return to the States - not knowing if I'd be able to find a job when I return, not knowing how long I'd be able to live off of a small savings account, not knowing .... anything.  

or

Stay at my current job (and hold onto the benefits of having health insurance and growing my retirement fund), in my current city, and settle for what I have.....until I can find something better.  IF I can find something better.

I have every intention of re-visiting my home land, but I've always had an excuse not to.  I don't have enough money.  I don't have the time.  I don't... I don't... I don't... I'm starting to run out of excuses.  I'm starting to realize that I need to do this, but it's a trip that could potentially change my life and that?  Is scary.  Because this time I have control over it.  I can do it on my own terms.  

Teachers prepare you for certain things in the "real world," but they don't prepare you for those life-changing decisions you have to make.  Moments that could change your life, for better or worse.  Time that cannot be undone.  Experiences that will shape another part of your life. 

A decision (and trip) that could potentially change my life and I'm too scared to make it. 

2 comments:

  1. I hope you make the right decision. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll always wonder about the opportunities you didn't take.

    Your friends will still be here when you come back from your homeland. So long as you bring awesome souvenirs, you stay in touch, and etc. The opportunity to do it won't always be there. It's there now....

    I know you have to do what's best for you, but I'm really hoping that you head overseas and take this opportunity.

    Plunge Plunge Plunge Plunge!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...