Friday, January 7, 2011

"to travel is worth any cost or sacrifice."

{via}

I had my first therapy session the other night since my therapist has returned from maternity leave.  I finally told her about losing my job and trading the City of Brotherly Love for the Czech Republic in two months.  As predicted, she was very supportive and kept telling me I need to go.  She said I'm too worn out from my job and the nonprofit, and that this journey abroad could really be the best thing for me right now.  I hate when she's always right.

The more I think about Praha (that's Czech for 'Prague,' in case you were wondering), the more I think about what it means to make the most of this opportunity.  I can now travel the entire world on my own terms.  No deadlines, no commitments, no restrictions.  Opportunities like this don't come very often.  I can travel the world teaching English.  Europe.  Asia.  South America.  Australia (okay, so I can't teach English there, but I can at least visit)

As of March 1st, I won't have any commitments to this city.  Sure, I'll be leaving my friends and the foundation I built here behind, but I shouldn't let those things hinder me from living life on my own terms.  After I spend my 85 days in Europe, I'm off to either South America or Asia.  I'll return back to the States for a brief stint to collect the rest of my belongings, but then I head back overseas.  And the most thrilling thing about that?  I don't know when I'll return to the States.  Costa Rica, Brazil, Japan, and South Korea are at the top of my 'must-see' list, and all of those countries offer plenty teaching positions.

I always had a plan.  I always had some kind of direction that I wanted my life to head in, but for the first time ever, I have no plan and no direction.  It's terrifying, intimidating, and overwhelming, but you can't put a price on experiences that have the ability to change your life forever. 


* title of the post is a quote from the book Eat, Pray, Love.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...