Friday, June 4, 2010

seven years

All it takes is one moment; one simple moment that changes the course of your life.


In wedding vows, you say "for better or worse."  But when you think about it, everything you do in your life is for better or worse. 

June 4, 2003.  I was in Pittsburgh mourning the loss of my mother.  That was the day my life changed.  While my friends were partying and drinking, I was settling an estate, closing accounts and planning funeral arrangements. 

For better or worse, I had to make a decision.  I could allow depression to take control of my life, or I could muster up whatever courage I had left and face this scary world ahead of me. 

Seven years later and I'm still standing on my two feet with more courage, strength, endurance and hope than ever before.  Sure, I have my moments when I feel defeated, lost and alone, but I take those days for what they are and make sure to make the next day a better one.

Today isn't about mourning or sadness.  Today is about embracing myself and being proud of how far I have come in the last seven years.  It's about embracing the strength and courage I have as I continue conquering the world on my own.  It's about being happy about the choices that I have made that led me to where I am today, for better or worse


Thank you, Momma, for shining down on me.
RIP
July 8, 1949 - June 4, 2003

 (via)

3 comments:

  1. You're totally one of the strongest bitches that I know. More than once, you've come up in a conversation with me and some random friend and I refer to you as "My friend, who like, overcomes shit like its her job." I know, I have a way with words.

    Although I had no idea that today had this meaning to you until rightnow, I'm glad we got to spend it over dinner, laughing and being shallow jerks like usual.

    I know Momma was super proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I agree with Katie, she is so proud! This is a stunning post. Your writing always draws me in and I am reminded again and again why I am so thankful to have found your blog. Thanks for the inspiration love. You are beautiful!

    Best,

    Hannah Katy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go on for better or worse, and not everyone does and you should know that you are an amazing person for that! I am always in awe of your strength and perseverance for better or worse.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...