Friday, May 21, 2010

feeling grateful and some wise words:

"Maybe we're not supposed to be happy.  Maybe gratitude has nothing to do with joy.  Maybe being grateful means recognizing what you have for what it is - appreciating small victories and admiring the struggle it takes simply to be human.  Maybe we're thankful for the familiar things we know, and maybe we're thankful for the things we'll never know.  At the end of the day, the fact that we have the courage to still be standing is reason enough to celebrate."
- Grey's Anatomy -

Today, I'm so grateful to still have a job.  My firm laid off 4 employees (which is a really big deal since we are a small firm as it is), one of whom was a paralegal.  I realized today that had certain situations not occurred at work two months ago, I would have been that paralegal my firm laid off today.  I didn't realize it would be a blessing in disguise.

Sometimes I take certain things, like steady paycheck and a 9-5 job, for granted.  Especially when I vent about specific conditions at work to my friends who are living the unemployment life. 

Even though unemployment rates have marginally decreased in the last few months, many employers [like mine] still have to make cuts where they can.  I see people close to me struggling for money (because they don't have a job or they can't find steady work) every day and it makes my heart ache.  While I make a good salary every year, I still live paycheck to paycheck.  But I need to remember that as much as things may suck for me right now, I have a good job that pays for all of my wine and cheese tabs a good salary and provides me with exceptional benefits, like health insurance, stock options and a 401K. 

It's about being grateful for what you have, because there are people out there with far less.

3 comments:

  1. There are people with less wine and cheese than we have?

    I'm glad the layoffs skipped over you. Though you're a survivor and I know you would have overcome it. Luckily you don't have to, though.

    This was a mind-opening post from you. As much as I sometimes complain about jobs that I don't want to do, I know there are people who don't have ANY money coming in and NO job options.

    Way to put things in perspective on my Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are feeling thankful. That's a hard thing to go through, even if you're not the one laid off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I love that Grey's quote, I always reference it and it is written in my inspiration journal. I am so happy to know you have your job.

    Best,

    Hannah Katy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...