Thursday, November 4, 2010

a clean slate

{via

 "The world is but a canvas to the imagination."
- Henry David Thoreau -

I feel like I failed.  Spending countless hours working on something that I consistently put my heart and soul into, only to have it crash and burn in the end.  At least to me, it felt like it crashed and burned.  Wasted time.  Wasted effort.  Wasted talent.  I know I'm better than this.  I know I have it in me to do this, but I'm sinking and I don't know how to stay afloat. 

I want to make a change.  I want my efforts to be powerful and effective.  I want others to know how much this means to me.  But it's tough to continue with those efforts when you realize that everything you worked on - and for - has failed.  

The decision didn't come easy.  I consulted quite a few friends and colleagues in the industry for advice and suggestions.  Frankly, I just wanted someone to tell me what to do.  I didn't want to make a bad decision, especially after working so hard for so long.  I wanted someone to tell me I was doing the right thing. 

Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same.

It's back to the drawing board.  Again.  I'm having a tough time finding my creativity and motivation with this.  I feel like all of my energy has been sucked out over the last three years.  I feel like I have nothing left to give.  

When I let go of my friendship with my best friend, I questioned whether I would have the ability to continue working on our nonprofit - which we founded together.  I was afraid I wouldn't be able to truly let go of our friendship, knowing she would continue to be a part of the story and background with the nonprofit.  But the idea of starting all over again terrified me.  I'm not cut out for this

It's tough to find the motivation to start all over again when I feel like I completely failed at it the first time.  I know it's for the best though.  I know that in order to do what I want and get to where I need to be in the nonprofit industry, I need to start all over again.  New nonprofit.  New story (kind of).  Fresh start. 

I just hope I can do it better this time around.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...