Saturday, January 2, 2010

"keep on moving, keep climbing, keep the faith, baby"

"I can almost see it
That dream I'm dreaming
But there's a voice inside my head saying
You'll never reach it..."


My decision to move across the country didn't come easy.  It's been a decision 4 years long in the making.  Every year I always had an excuse to stay - friends, being close to family, social life, a job, summer time.  It was always something that kept me here.  Even when I thought about moving to Chicago last year, I didn't go through with it.  But that's because I realize I would never survive the arctic temps up there.

The truth is, I was putting this decision off for so long because I was scared - scared to take that next step; scared to find a new job in a new city; scared to find new friends; scared to believe I could be happier someplace else.

As I thought more and more about this decision, I started to realize certain things.  I'm not entirely happy at my job.  Sure, I like it, but I don't love it.  I think the main reason I've stayed for this long is because of my salary.  I know money isn't everything, but it's nice to live a comfortable life where I can splurge every once in a while.  Another reason I've stayed this long is because I was afraid to leave my friends.  I worked so hard at making friends and creating my social circle here that I've been so afraid to leave it.  But something happened to me earlier this week that made me realize my friends are going to move on with their lives, with or without me.  I suppose you could say it was the reality check that I needed.

The more I think about moving out West, the more excited I am.  I haven't felt that way about a decision in a very long time.  This isn't about choosing which color to paint my room.  This is about choosing a new start; a new city; a happier life.  It's about putting one foot in front of the other and making my dreams a reality.

I have a lot to do in the next few months.  First and foremost, I hope that one of these jobs I applied for fall into place.  If that doesn't happen, then it's about figuring out WHEN to move and WHERE to go.  The more I think about it, the more I lean towards Phoenix or San Diego.  I could really love living beach-side every day and finding a hott military man to bone every day  fall in love with. 

Sometimes you just have to let go of everything and take that step.  You don't know where it's going to lead you or if it's going to be the better choice, but you won't know until you do it.  I'm anxious to start this new adventure. 

I can already tell that these next few months are going to be bittersweet.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."


3 comments:

  1. As you know, I'd traditionally ask you to just stay, and stop being a ho-bag and just stay in the east. But I know for sure that you'll regret more of what you DIDN'T do than what you did. If you end up hating the west (which I doubt) then you just keep going until you find where you're happy. Make your happiness a priority in 2010. You're the only constant thing you'll ALWAYS have.

    Well, that and me. Just sayin'. I'm like Herpes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to keep reading about your adventures and where everything takes you. I just know you're going to have an amazing year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes. I know wherever you're going to be, it's going to be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...