Friday, January 22, 2010

stop asking, start living [and loving harder] - also known as the time I pay it forward



(via)

"Ask, and you shall find."

I ask a lot of questions because I thrive on learning.  Whether it's from a book, a friend or experiencing it first-hand, I'm constantly learning new things.

The biggest thing I've learned recently is:

"Happiness is a journey, not a destination."

I'm constantly seeking happiness because maybe I just don't know what happiness really is.  I mean, seriously, what is happiness?  What does it feel like?  How do you know when you've found it?

See, there go the questions...

Earlier this week I was offered a position on the Board of Directors for the National Cervical Cancer Coalition.  I was amazed, thrilled and ecstatic.  More importantly, I felt honored because it shows that my advocacy efforts are truly paying off.

And that's when I realized...

Happiness is what you make it.

I want to change the world.  I know it won't happen over night, but often times I think about quitting my full-time job so I can devote more time to advocating.  It's stupid, I know, which is why I haven't done it... yet.

Why am I living? is often a question that runs through my head.  I think back about how far I have come and what I have to show for myself.  I'm living to make a difference.  I believe in helping others who are less fortunate; helping those who need treatment; and educating the public.  I know I can't save everyone, but if I can at least save one person's life, well, then I've done what I came here to do.

Earlier this week, a video was posted throughout the internet and youtube.  I'm sure you've already seen it, watched it or heard about it, but if you haven't, then what the hell!?

Love Harder was created because a lovely blogger's boyfriend was recently diagnosed with multiple myeloma and all the other bloggers out there wanted to do something to help.  So, a video was created, a website was made and donations were sent in.  The efforts put in by every single person who was a part of Love Harder is nothing short of amazing.

A day or so after I found out about the lovely blogger's boyfriend's cancer diagnosis, another close friend of mine told me that his mother has multiple myeloma.  I think I actually knew that, but had forgot (sorry, Mikey!).

It's funny because I spend so much time advocating for HPV and cervical cancer that I forget about the other cancers that are out there.  I get so angry because breast cancer is dominating 'cancer world' and little attention is paid to cervical cancer. But the truth is - cancer is cancer, and it doesn't matter what type of cancer someone has, it's still devastating. 

Being the Philadelphia Cancer Examiner has truly opened my eyes (and ears and heart) up to this 'cancer world.'  My job is to write articles on cancer and give it a local pitch by relating it to Philadelphia.  When I heard that a video was going to be made for this and that local women were going to be a part of it, I knew I had a story to write about, but I guess I didn't realize what kind of impact my story would make.

So, I paid it forward.  I donated to the cause and wrote this, as a tribute to the blogger and her boyfriend, my friend's mom and anyone else who has a personal experience with multiple myeloma. 

Together, we can make a difference.

Love harder. Life is short, love is unbending, and no one knows what could happen next. Tell someone you love them today.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...