Thursday, January 28, 2010

on meeting Senators, feeling powerful, second-guessing,making a difference and realizing my life's passion




(photo via, me.  i take awesome photos, I know.)

January 27, 2010.  What did YOU do that day? 

I bet most people went to work, went to the gym, went to happy hour.

But me?

I advocated and lobbied for increased federal funding for cervical cancer treatments on Capitol Hill.

I met with Senator Arlen Specter, Senator Bob Casey and Congressman Mike Doyle to discuss their support with the health care bill and their stance on increasing federal funding for women's health issues in 2011.

On January 27, 2010 I MADE A DIFFERENCE.

It was my first time on Capitol Hill (shocking, since I love that city and visit nearly eight times a year) and it was my first time attending a briefing for something that directly affects me.  It was the very first time in my life that I felt powerful and I had the ability to make a difference for me, my friends, my family and my future children.

By lobbying for more federal funding for cervical cancer programs, it allows all women to receive proper treatments (including vaccines and surgeries).  It allows my future children and grandchildren [and your future children and grandchildren] to hopefully never have to worry about getting HPV or cervical cancer.

Yesterday was nothing short of thrilling and invigorating.  Standing in rooms with Senators and Congressmen who have the ability to change health care with a snap of their finger was absolutely priceless.  Most people don't get that opportunity.

Yesterday was eye-opening to my decision to pack up and leave for the West Coast.  Yesterday, I fell in love with Washington, D.C. all over again.  I fell in love with the ability to make a difference in today's current [and future] health care situation.  I fell in love with my passion to one day work on Capitol Hill and live in D.C., and this could very well change my decision to move out West.

There's something about that city that keeps drawing me back.

Yesterday, on the train ride home, I realized that I want to pursue a career on Capitol Hill in nonprofit, advocating and lobbying for women's rights. 


(and not just because there are so many HOT legislators in D.C.)

I want the ability to continue to lobby for health care changes (especially for women) and continue to make a difference in this world.  I want to know I'm making this country a better place for my children and grandchildren.  

This is my passion.  This is my goal.  This is my life. 



"Nobody in life gets exactly what they
thought they were going to get.
But if you work really hard and you're kind,
amazing things will happen."
- Conan O'Brien -


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...