Tuesday, January 19, 2010

on learning the meaning of true friendship

"You can't have friends until you learn how to be one."

We're all in search of something - a job, a school, a relationship, happiness - we spend so much of our lives searching for it, that we end up missing those moments that truly count; the ones that inevitably touch our lives forever.

Over the last five years, I have really spent time searching for the true meaning of friendship - ways to maintain friendships, strengthen friendships and let go of them - after five years of searching, I have learned that you only get out of it, what you put into it.

Discovering the true meaning of friendship is a tough lesson to learn.  Like anything else in your life, you have to make time and put effort into it.  You have to understand the boundaries of each friendship and learn to accept someone for who they are.  You have to learn that you can't make every single person in your life completely happy; you have to compromise, make sacrifices and put yourself out there.  You have to figure out who is worth your time and who isn't; you have to determine which friends to hold onto and which ones to let go.  But most importantly, you need to realize that friendships need to be reciprocated in order to endure and that after a while, certain friendships just aren't worth salvaging.

After all these years, I thought I figured it all out; I thought I understood what friendship really meant and how to keep even the farthest people close in my life.  Truth is, I'm still searching; I'm still learning to hold on... and let others go.

See, that's the thing about life - just when you think you figured it all out, it knocks you on your feet. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...