Wednesday, December 29, 2010

"don't worry about a thing, 'cause every little thing gonna be all right"

{{This post is part of #reverb10, an annual event and month-long online initiative to reflect on this year and manifest what's next for 2011.
 
December 24th Prompt: Everything's OK.  What was the best moment that could serve as proof that everything's going to be alright?  And how will you incorporate that discovery into the year ahead?}}
 
My plan was to ring in 2011 with good friends, re-brand my nonprofit organization, and start graduate school.  But then all of the shit hit the fan at once, and I found myself curled up in a ball on my couch, blindly staring at my television, feeling crippled.  I didn't want to do anything or go anywhere.  I just wanted to lay.  I haven't felt that type of crippling since June 2003.

My plan instantly shattered when my law firm announced dissolution.  I knew it was coming, but I didn't realize it would be so soon.  We never fully prepare ourselves for these types of moments.  I didn't have a back-up plan.  I didn't think I would need one because I never thought my law firm would dissolve.  

And then someone sent me something:

"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do.  But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."
 
I had read it before - many times, in fact - but this time, it really hit me.  Little bits of motivation and inspiration from a wonderful person to push me to continue doing what I do best.  That's what friends are for - to push you when you feel crippled; to help you in times when you need their help the most.
 
It was a small gesture with a powerful punch, but it was exactly what I needed to realize that I'm going to be okay.  I'm so much stronger than this, and life really does move on.

Everything's going to be okay.
 
So for that, I thank you.   
 

* title from Bob Marley's Everything's Gonna Be Alright
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...