Wednesday, November 25, 2009

16 years

They say a dog is a man's best friend.  I've lost pets before - bunnies, guinea pigs, and even other puppies - but this one somehow seemed more painful than the rest.

I remember getting my puppy from a pet store on my brother's birthday.  I was so excited to have my first puppy - or at least a puppy to call my own.  We took her home and provided her with a great life.  It's always painful when they get sick or you have to take them to the vet for something.

Today, I came home to make the decision to put my puppy down.  She had been very sick for a while - throwing up, urinating around the house and days when she could barely walk around or even eat.  The moment she saw me, she immediately perked up, waged her tail and starting giving me kisses.  Those are the moments I'll always cherish.  But I could tell she was sick.  She limped around, she whined a lot and she just looked ... sick.  It broke my heart seeing her in that state, but as much as I wanted her with me still, it killed me to see her in such pain.  Deep in my heart, I know I made the right decision.  I know she's living a happier life.

She had a wonderful life and she gave me 16 wonderful years full of memories, love and happiness.  I know she was "just a dog" but she was part of my family and I loved her like I would love my own child.  Heartbreaking doesn't even describe it.

May she rest in peace.


3 comments:

  1. :'(

    That's one of the worst things in life, to put a loved pet down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What the eff? You really DID have a challenging weekend. You said it best saying she's now out of pain. You made the right choice...sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same.

    ...resisting the urge to break out into song. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dread the day I lose my precious Bean-Bean or Lima Bean. Those two little shits are the best lovers I have. RIP and my condolences for your loss.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...