Wednesday, November 18, 2009

tomato, tomahto

When I was in third grade, my parents made me take speech classes because I couldn't pronounce my "R's" correctly.  My classmates used to make fun of me because of that.  And then I killed them. To this day, I hate any word with the letter "R" in it.  Especially the small words like "are" and "for."

Pittsburgh has somehow developed its own jargon called "Pittsburgh-ese."  We say things like "dahntahn" (downtown) and "Stillers" (Steelers).  And we say phrases like: "Yinz goin' dahntahn to see dem Stillers 'n at?"  which translates to: "Are you guys going downtown to watch the Steelers game?"

I was fortunate enough not to grow up with a Pittsburgh accent.  Although I occasionally catch myself saying "yinz" (translates to "you guys").  And I definitely say "pop" instead of "soda."  Philly people mock me endlessly for that one.  And if you're lucky enough, you'll hear me say things like "jagoff," "gumband" and "hoagie."  I guess "hoagie" isn't that unusual, but true Philadelphian's say "subs" and I've been called out for saying "hoagie" a couple times in the past.

Recently, I've started becoming more conscious of what I say.  Or rather, how I say it.

Example.

I say:  "elemen-TARY"

You say: "elementree"

Use it in a sentence.  "I barely remember anything from elemen-tary school."

Yes, that's how I pronounce it.  I never thought it was weird until recently when all of my friends point out the fact that it's the wrong pronunciation.  It's spelled E-L-E-M-E-N-T-A-R-Y.  Right?  RIGHT.

How do you say: W-H-E-N?

"When" right?  As in: "When did you send me the email?"

I say: "win."  As in, "Win are you going to the bar?"

Don't judge me. 

So the holiday that's coming up is Thanksgiving.  Or shall I say, THANKSgiving.  So I took a poll to see how many people say "Thanksgiving."  The results came back and most people emphasize it as: "ThanksGIVing."

I asked my brother the other night how he says it and he says it the same way I do.  So I'm starting to think it's a Pittsburgh thing.  I guess I do have an accent.  At least it's not a big one.

(that's what she said).

2 comments:

  1. Because of ThanksGIVing, you now you owe me dinner. Tonight does not count.

    I'm re-enrolling you in decent speech lessons. We'll expense it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, elementary school did not exist. It's grammar school.

    Also, pop FTW!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...