Thursday, November 12, 2009

choosing an authentic life

{via}

The domino effect.  One small change that naturally triggers more, with an intention for those changes to transform your life.

I've hit a crucial point in my life - re-evaluating my friendships, my relationships dating life, my career and my overall happiness.  I no longer want to settle for anything less than what I truly want.  And I want authenticity - the real thing - in every area of my life.  Except that I can't simply acquire authenticity, I have to become it.

Friendships

This year has been a turning point in the friendship department.  I spent a significant amount of time analyzing my friendships and choosing which ones to hold onto. Our friendships aren't defined through the number of connections on Facebook, or the number of followers on Twitter, or the number of contacts we have stored in our cell phones.  Our friendships are defined by honesty and authenticity.  Of your 500+ friends on Facebook, how many of them do you actually talk to?  Like, in person having genuine conversations?  Small talk, for me, is fake.  I want real, stimulating conversations over wine and cheese, pancake brunches, or coffee.  Conversations that start in the early afternoon and continue well into the night.  I crave those meaningful conversations.

It took me a while to realize exactly what I need in my friendships.  For a while, it felt like my circle of friends was dwindling by the day, but I realized that I was just weeding out the friends who couldn't satisfy my needs.  I don't need 500 friends on Facebook as long as I have two or three close girl friends by my side. 

Career

I love what I do.  I have so much passion and dedication for the cause.  I want to make a difference in this world on a much larger scale than I am currently doing.  I know that it's going to take time, but sometimes I get impatient.

It took me two weeks to finish my applications for graduate school, and I nearly had an anxiety attack when I mailed them out, but now that the process is completed, I'm relieved.  Except for the fact that I'm now waiting for the schools to make a decision and dammit, I just want to know!  It took me a while to realize - and accept - that I need to return to school in order to launch my career on a larger scale.  I was putting it off for so long because I wasn't sure where my heart was.  I've worked in the legal field for nearly a decade now, and I really do enjoy it.  But I love my nonprofit, and I've worked too damn hard to give it up now.  I want a career where I can do both successfully, and hopefully graduate school will help me figure all of that out.

When you find your passion in your life, hold onto it because you don't know how long it will last.  

Relationships/Dating

I hate dating.  There, I said it.  It sucks.  I don't know what the "rules" are anymore.  I don't know what the boundaries are for comfortable and inappropriate.  I don't know whether I should offer to pay on the first date (which I did, and he declined) or just assume he's going to foot the bill.  I don't know if I'm supposed to be the one chasing after him, or let him chase after me.  I just. don't. know.

I hate the dating game even more so when the guy you're dating is nearly a decade older than you (not that age matters, but really, sometimes it does), is divorced, and takes life more seriously.  The rules become more complicated and things move incredibly slower. 

Yet, maybe this is exactly what I need right now - to be grounded with someone who has more life experience and can help guide me through all of this life stuff.  Or maybe I'll just end up in the infamous 'friend zone' by Thanksgiving. 

Working towards authenticity

I feel like I've hit a milestone.  Like I'll look back on my 27th year and remember all of the things I did to improve my quality of life.  Realizing my true self worth and refusing to settle for anything less than what I want.  Surrounding myself with people who make me happy.  Doing things that I'm passionate about.  Working toward a successful career.   

Isn't that what life's all about?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...