Tuesday, November 24, 2009

asking permission, the guy who's falling madly in love with me, cheesy wedding songs and just letting things happen

"It would be great for my parents to meet their future daughter-in-law."

No, I'm not engaged.

(just wanted to clear the air) 


It seems like everyone is talking marriage/weddings lately.  And no, I don't say that just because she recently got engaged (who, by the way, I am so happy for!), but because a good handful of my friends have "wedding/marriage" on their minds.

My best friend is talking weddings and marriage in 2010 and she isn't even engaged yet.  Another friend of mine is getting married in June 2010.  And another friend of mine is getting married in August 2010. 

And you can bet I'm buying one dress and wearing it to all three weddings.

So, I have a huge fear of getting married after 30.  I don't know why, I just do.  Maybe because a lot of my friends are married and living their "happily ever after."  Or maybe because everyone says: "it's all down hill after 30" and I'd like to at least be engaged before it all goes down hill.  Or maybe because I'm afraid if I don't get my "happily ever after" by the time I'm 30, I'll never get it.

Yesterday I had a conversation with the guy that is falling madly in love with me (true story).  I commented on how it's supposed to snow over Thanksgiving break back home.  And I may or may not have said something like: "I knew I should have gone to Florida with you."  

His reply?

"It would be great for my parents to meet their future daughter-in-law."

So about two or three months ago I had a conversation with the guy that is falling in love with me (I need a better nickname for him).  He told me he was moving to Florida in March for his job and I jokingly said something to the effect of:

"I expect an engagement ring before you leave."

I was joking!


After I said that, I immediately kicked myself and then told him I was kidding.  We haven't discussed engagement rings, marriage, weddings or the like since then.

Actually, that's a lie.  We drove down Walnut Street about a month ago and passed Tiffany's.  He made some comment about it (can't remember what) and I think I said something back (again, can't remember what).  I may have been drunk at the time.  Or I may have been not listening.

Sometimes I block people out when they talk to me.  Don't judge me.

Anyway.  We were in Tampa for a hockey tournament about a month and a half ago and we were discussing holiday plans.  He told me he was going home to Florida for Thanksgiving but that he was staying in Virginia for Christmas.  So because I feel that no one should ever have to spend Christmas alone, I invited him back to Pittsburgh to spend it with my family.  Sounds innocent enough, right?

Wrong.

A man who has plans of getting married to the girl and is going to Pittsburgh to meet the girl's family can only mean one thing.


The quest to ask for permission.

Excuse me while I go have an anxiety attack.

It's been like three months since I've been "seeing" this guy who is falling madly in love with me and I can't figure him out.  A good chunk of the time I want to ring his neck.  But then he has those shining moments when I think I genuinely like him and it cancels out those bad thoughts.

Every other relationship I've had, I've jumped right into it.  Mainly because I was drunk I didn't really know any better, but also because that relationship immediately had a spark.  This one?  Well, I'm still trying to find that spark.  I don't want to give up just yet, but I also don't want to feel like I'm wasting my time with him.  Or vice versa.


You know that saying: nice guys finish last?  Yeah, I'm starting to figure out why they finish last.  I'm so used to dating crappy guys that I don't really know what it's like to date a nice, good, quality guy.  All of my friends who have met this guy tell me they like him.  They tell me he really is good for me.  So why is it so hard for me to see that?

Hindsight's only 20/20.

I know I need to give him an honest chance, but it's hard to break away from my norm (or what I consider my "norm" over the last four years). 

I always had that fantasy of what "meeting the family" and "living together" and "getting married" would be like.  I realize I'm not getting any younger.  I don't want to rush into anything, but I also realize that sometimes life doesn't always turn out the way you planned. 

Sometimes you just have to go with the flow and let things happen on their own.

So... don't be surprised if you receive a wedding invitation from me this spring.

PS.  If/When I get married, I'm totally making this my wedding song.  Or this.

2 comments:

  1. Dating is a hard thing. No man is going to be perfect, that's for sure. Even if you found a guy who was a little less 'heart on his sleeve', he'd be less than perfect in other areas.

    That being said, don't force yourself to have feelings that aren't there. Sure, this guy seems like someone you should like/love, but there are some things you can't force. Don't beat yourself up if you really don't have the feelings. If nothing else, be honest with the guy, because if you're caught up despising the idea of a relationship because you're in one that's unfulfilling, then it takes your eyes off the road to spot the 'right one' when you cross paths.

    I am not taking either side, really. Because I'm honestly happy if you're happy. I know we both hate emotions, but you don't seem completely as happy as I would imagine you to be when you find 'your one'. Just an observation.

    My point? Don't get married just to avoid being single. Don't get married to accomplish a goal. Don't get married just because you can't say no. Don't get married because they 'would be a great husband'

    Get married for unequivocal, unconditional, unquestionable love.

    Let things happen? YES.
    Force things? NO.

    Know the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asking for permission is for suckers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...