Thursday, November 26, 2009

praying

As the last hour of Thanksgiving Day ticks, I feel myself being more thankful for my family now, more than ever. 

Last Fall my brother underwent brain surgery to remove a benign tumor on his pituitary.  It was in the smack-dab middle of his brain and they had to go up through his nose to remove the tumor.  At the same time, he was diagnosed with diabetes and vertigo, making his health now even worse.  His tumor came back about six months ago, so they put him on anti-tumor pills, but his sinus infections seem to trigger his vertigo, making most days unbearable for him to even get out of bed.

I'm not religious, but I find myself praying for my brother with every day that passes.

Today, I'm going to pray even harder.

My brother called to wish me a Happy Thanksgiving and update me on his life.  We don't really talk much over the phone (mainly because he's too sick to talk for extended periods of time), so any communication we have is via text message or email.  It was nice to hear his voice though.  I haven't seen him since last Christmas, and I really missed him at Thanksgiving dinner tonight.

Anyway, tonight as he was updating me on school, work and health, he mentioned he will be getting another surgery in late January.  This time it's to help alleviate his meniere's disease.  While the surgery has a 70% success rate, it could also permanently make him deaf. 

It's all overwhelming and I'm barely processing all of it.  Mainly because I don't want to process any of it.  I hate seeing my brother so sick.  He's supposed to be the strong one in the family.

Today, I'm thankful that my brother's are still with me.  I'm thankful for quality time together, for laughing with them, for making jokes (and being the butt of them) and for all of our childhood memories that I'll carry with me to my grave.  Today, more than every, I'm thankful that I have the two best brothers in the world, even if we don't have the best relationship, even if we aren't that close.

Be thankful for your family, your friends and everything you've experienced in your life ... because you never know when it will be taken away from you. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about your brother. You have been through so much pain and challenge in your life, but you must come from a strong family knowing how much you have been through.
    I am an avid reader of your blog, and I thought you got a lot of hits. I noticed that there were not that many comments, and I decided to leave one.
    My name is Laura, and I have been reading your blog for around five months now. Reading about your life and battle with cervical cancer is inspiring. You are truly an inspiration to me. I love your comments on your about me page, and I often refer to the line "Some people just don't deserve to be in your life." This has helped me a lot recently since most of my friends have turned their backs on me.
    Because of you I am now an advocate for cervical cancer, and I am trying to discover different ways to raise awareness.
    Just wanted to say hi and that keep up your blog because I absolutely love reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about this, love. I really will keep you in my thoughts, and send positive thoughts from the great Rabbi to you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...