Sunday, November 29, 2009

the most disgusting thing I've ever eaten

I went out to dinner with a friend tonight (after I bought $85 worth of groceries, but hey, he paid for dinner) and we went out to Chinatown (go figure).

Tonight, I realized why I only eat at my favorite Chinese restaurant in Chinatown, Sang Ke. 

We walked into the restaurant and got seated by the tanks full of fish, crabs, shrimps and eel.  Yes, eel.  We also experienced a little misty shower during our dinner (the employees were feeding the fish with the shrimp) which added to the awesome ambiance.  I didn't realize I needed an umbrella or poncho when I dined in Chinatown.

Anyway, so my friend ordered us an appetizer and I perused the 85-item menu, from frog to eel to ox, you name it, it was on the menu.  I ended up getting the Singapore rice noodles and he got he Peking duck. 

Our appetizer came (that's what she said) and it looked like red tubes.  I asked him what it was and he said, "fried pork."  It sure didn't look like fried pork.  So I tried it.  A little chewy, but it wasn't bad.  As I kept eating it, I started feeling queezy.  I don't think this was fried pork.

We finished our dinner and the check arrived with two fortune cookies and four orange slices. 

"I bet you the cost of dinner that you can't eat those four orange slices in two minutes." he said.

"Three minutes!!" I replied.

"Two and a half minutes.  You eat all four of those orange slices in two and a half minutes and I'll pay for dinner."

(little did he know, he was going to pay for dinner anyway - sucka.)

So he sets his watch and I grab the first orange slice.  Of course I'm laughing like a little girl as I'm eating these oranges, but I managed to consume all four of them in 2 minutes, 18 seconds. 

Well worth it.

OK, not really, but I can add that onto the "Skills" section of my resume, right?!

So he drops me off after dinner and about twenty minutes later, he sends me a text.

"You enjoyed your tripe!"

I immediately knew what he was talking about.  I nearly gagged.  Tripe is disgusting.  But perhaps it's not nearly as disgusting as what I actually consumed at dinner, which was...

wait for it....

wait for it....



FRIED PIG INTESTINE

Reason #58607 why I'm never going to China.

Ever.

And reason #6908 why I'm never going out to dinner with him again.

Ever.

Sometimes I really hate my friends...
 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you KT! I am headed to NJ for the next six weeks--I leave for Sydney Jan. 23. I plan to keep blogging in both places! I am so happy we met through this thing--I think you are just as amazing. Hold it down in Philly while I'm gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're such a twinkie! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I'm all for trying different foods just to say I have, but this post makes my stomach turn a little bit. ... Hope your tummy is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...