Tuesday, November 10, 2009

need a new direction

Today I applied for a job. 

It's a position I've already held, but with a different company.  It's a job that, at the time, I wasn't sure I really enjoyed, but now after being out of it for over a year, I really miss it.  I miss the interaction, the phone calls, the contact.  I miss sitting in meetings all day and being so busy you forget to eat lunch.  My current job has those days, but it's not every day.  Realistically, this isn't where I want to be; this isn't what I want to do.

I know I'm qualified for the position, but I don't know if my experience at a different company is going to help me or hurt me.  Same with my volunteer experience with my non-profit.  I know employers sometimes look at volunteer experience as a negative, especially if you are still actively involved with it.

I need a change.  I need a job that provides interaction and networking opportunities.  I need a job that gets me away from the desk and gets me in front of clients, candidates, vendors, and the like.  I realize, perhaps a little too late, that I thrive on social interaction.  I like meeting people and helping people.  I like networking with others.  I like how you can learn something from someone - regardless of how well you know them.  I need all of that again. 

I need something more stimulating and satisfying (that's what she said). I need some better direction and a vision of what I want to do.
 

"It is better to be happy for a moment and be burned up with beauty, than to live a long time and be bored all the while."
- Hellen Keller*

* Quote dedicated to my lover, because she loves Hellen Keller ..................................... jokes.
 ** Also, for all of you Hellen Keller fans out there, I present you with this awesome website.  You can translate your text messages to Helen Keller-speak.  It's awesome.  You're welcome. 



Post brought to you by:

 

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the job! The title of this reminded me of that Panic at the Disco song, New Perspective :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am proud of you just as I am for Helen Keller. You'll have to fill me the heck on on this job and stuff. Let me know if you need a personal assistant. I could do your dick-tastin', I mean dictation.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...