Tuesday, November 3, 2009

my greatest feeling

"If you feel like there's a passion out there you're supposed to be doing, if you have a passion for it, then stop wishing and do it."
- Wanda Sykes -

For as long as I can remember, I've always had the passion to help people.  I like seeing people smile after I help them with something.  But most importantly, I like the inner feeling I get when I know I've helped someone.  

I think one reason why I chose a legal career is because I have a passion to help others.  It's probably also why I considered Social Work and Education as majors in college. Now I'm trying to make a stronger impact in the non-profit world and even though it feels like I'm failing most days, I have to remember I'm making a difference and saving lives.  That's what it's about, right?  Making a difference.

I recently watched a news report of a local family having to put their dog down after owning it for just a couple weeks because it had health issues that were unknown to the family.   Luckily for the family, they were covered under the Pet Lemon Law and they were reimbursed for the total price they paid for the puppy. 

So, when I heard via twitter (god, I hate twitter!) that a friend had to put her one-week-owned puppy down, I knew something was wrong and I had to help.  I did my research and I steered her in the right direction to (hopefully) file a law suit against the rescue agency that sold her the puppy.  Granted, it won't bring Stella back, but it will prevent another family to have to endure the same tragedy as Rachel & Matt went through.  And at the end of the day, that's what really counts.

It's about making a difference.

Someone once asked me: what do you want to do [in life]?

At the time, I didn't have a response.  I was going through a quarter-life crisis so that was probably the worst possible question to ask me. 

But now?  Now I know what I want. 

Go ahead, ask me. 

C'mon, ask me!

"What do you want to do?"

I want to make a difference in this world.  I have this undying passion to help others.  It's a feeling I can't shake.  You can't shake what you're meant to do in life.  And maybe my non-profit won't ever get to that level that I want it to be, but you know what?  I'm fine with that.

OK, so I'm not really fine with it, but it's something I can live with.  Because I can die knowing I've helped others; knowing I saved some lives and prevented people from experiencing tragedies that others went through.

And knowing I'm making a difference in this world is one of the greatest feelings I could ever have.



this post brought to you by:



3 comments:

  1. This is SO touching. I know what you mean, knowing what you were MEANT to do and then doing it. I think I'm supposed to connect people. That's broad, but I'm having a fun time exploring what that means and how to make it my life.

    You're incredible. I'm so sad to hear about Stella, but I'm so glad Rachel had you exactly when she needed you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here I thought your greatest feeling was me holding you, which never happens.

    I'm super proud of you taking a stand and helping out a friend in need.

    Remember,

    "A friend in need is a friend indeed."

    ....TAKE THAT FOR SOME BRAIN CANDY!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...